Want to avoid a costly dryer repair? Here are a few simple tips for maintaining your dryer:
- Make sure the lint trap is clear before and after every load
- Clean dust and lint from around your dryer routinely
- Do not store laundry products on top of your dryer; it can damage the finish and controls
- Check the power supply (cord, breaker, fuse).
- If the motor is humming, check to make sure the door is latched properly.
Check to make sure dryer is not on the “fluff” setting.
- Make sure the dryer is level.
- Check to make sure there are no objects in the drum, i.e. coins, buttons, nails, etc.
- Make sure there are no obstructions in the felt seals at the front or rear of tumbler.
- Check that the vent system is clear.
- Check the size of your load to make sure you are not overloading the dryer.
If you are running an automatic cycle, try running a time cycle. If the timer advances with a timed cycle, the dryer most likely has a vent system problem; be sure that the vent is clear. If it does not advance with a timed cycle, schedule a service call, as the timer most likely needs to be replaced.
Leave the house immediately and call 911 from cell phone or neighbor’s home.